Sonos provides a range of smart speakers with multi-room functionality. Sonos smart speakers can together be used to form a home theatre system.
As they are smart speakers, they can work with voice commands, Wi-Fi, and even with the help of a router.
If you have a Sonos system at home and want to make the most of it by connecting it through your home router, here are the best routers for Sonos.
But first, let’s know what to look for in a router for Sonos:
- Dual-band routers with 2.4Ghz band overall and 5Ghz band
- Tri-band routers with single 2.4Ghz band and two 5Ghz band
- 11ac or lower Wi-Fi type compatibility
- WPA2, WPS, and IPv6 (security feature)
- Wireless on and off feature
- Guest Networking
- Adaptive QoS (Quality of service)
- 10/100 wired Ethernet speed
Don’t settle for anything less than this when looking for a router for Sonos smart speaker. Tri-band routers are convenient for setting up the Sonos home theatre system.
Terms To Know When Looking For A Router:
It stands for Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output. This feature allows multiple users to connect to the router simultaneously without compromising the speed from various locations.
Beamforming is another technology that allows the signals to be focused directly on the devices using Wi-Fi and is not dispersed throughout the area. This increases the internet Wi-Fi and prevents from getting lost elsewhere.
This is another advanced feature found in usually all routers these days. According to this feature, you can easily manage which type of traffic should be given specialized priority bandwidth like gaming, file transferring, web surfing, audio, and video streaming, etc.
This feature allows you to share your Wi-Fi password with guests. You can choose to blacklist or whitelist them later as per your choice. These days it is easy to manage guest access with the help of the router’s app. The app also makes it easy to set the router system.
The Standalone Routers For Sonos
A stand-alone router includes only one unit. This unit is placed anywhere in your house and provides limited Wi-Fi coverage around your home.
These are the least expensive and perfect for a home router system.
1. TP-Link AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router
This wireless internet router for home is a perfect fit for Sonos speakers. This router is smart with built-in Wi-Fi.
It is compatible with all Wi-Fi devices 802.11 ac and older versions like 802.11 a/b/g and n. Other features of TP-Link smart Wi-Fi router are:
- Dual-band routers with 2.5GHz and 5Ghz bandwidth
- Reduce buffering and perfect for 4k streaming
- 3 antennas for long Wi-Fi coverage
- 4 gigabit Lan ports, USB 2.0 port makes it ideal as a gaming router as well
- Also has a tethering app to link other devices with it
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Up to 2500 sq. ft. of Wi-Fi coverage
- Connects up to 50 and more devices at the same time
- Advanced WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption for safe browsing
- Includes parental control and guest access as well
- Wireless on/off with Works Alexa voice control
- Works with TP-Link One Mesh for extended coverage
- IPv6 and Cloud firmware update advanced features
- Bandwidth prioritization (QoS)
It is also affordably priced at around $60 and has ample positive customer reviews.
2. Motorola AC2600 4×4 Wi-Fi
Another Wi-Fi router that is best for Sonos is this Motorola AC2600 smart gigabit router.
Mostly all Motorola routers are Sonos compatible except Motorola NVG589. It has incompatible hardware but can work out with an available solution.
It has one USB 3.0 port in the front that allows you to transfer media easily. the other feature of this router includes:
- Has dual-band Wi-Fi and Gigabit ethernet
- Connect with 4 gigabit Lan ports at the back
- Can also be connected through Wi-Fi
- Four external antennas provide 4×4 performance for both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz band
- Supports 802.11ac wave and MU-MIMO technology for high-speed networking
- Implicit and explicit Beamforming
- Smart QoS support
- User-friendly firewall
- IPv4 and IPv6 support
- Parental controls and guest access capability
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- WPA/WPA2 security protocol
- Conveniently priced below $100
It isn’t compatible with Alexa and doesn’t have wireless on/off support, and still among one of the best routers for Sonos due to its exceptional dual-band performance. It also has superb customer support.
3. Linksys (EA6350-4B) Wi-Fi Router for Home
A Linksys Wi-Fi router like EA6350-4B also works best for Sonos. This is another trusted router for home with amazing customer reviews on Amazon.
Some of its key features include:
- Up to 1000 ft of Wi-Fi coverage
- Connects to more than 10 wireless devices
- Easy to set up using Linksys app
- 2 external antennas
- Works well with any existing modem
- Dual-band Wi-Fi speed of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
- 4-gigabit ethernet ports at the back for faster speed
- Supports beamforming technology
- Includes one USB 3.0 port in front
- Enjoy parental control, wireless on/off, and protected quest access through its app
- 10/100/1000 gigabit wired connection
- Round the clock customer support
- Perfect for small homes
This router is a pretty decent choice for a start.
4. Linksys Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router for Home
For big homes and wide Wi-Fi coverage, a tri-band Wi-Fi router is best. This Linksys smart router will also work best for Sonos home theatre system.
The key features of this tri-band router include:
- Up to 2000 sq. ft. of coverage
- Connects to more than 15 wireless devices
- Easy to set up with Linksys app and existing modem
- Tri-band technology i.e. Wi-Fi speeds up to 2.2Gbps with a single 2.4GHz band and two 5Ghz band
- Supports MU-MIMO for the same speed on all devices
- Uses beamforming technology for focused signal
- FAT, NTFS, HSF+ storage file system support
- Four-gigabit ethernet ports at the back
- One USB 3.0 port for media transfer
- Parental controls, device prioritization, and guest access using Linksys app
- 4 external antennas
A tri-band router is slightly costlier than a dual-band router. However, this tri-band router is priced at $120, which is a reasonable price to pay.
5. Tenda AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi Router
Tenda smart Wi-Fi router has some right configuration that makes it best for Sonos. It has everything a router should have to work with Sonos.
Its key features include:
- high-speed IPv6 router
- dual-band 2.4Ghz (300mbps) and 5Ghz (867mbps)
- connects up to 20 devices
- smart outer with self-optimizing QoS
- supports parental control and guest networking
- perfect for medium-sized apartments
- 3-gigabit ethernet port
- One WAN port
- Four external antennas for better coverage
- Smart traffic prioritization
- Support fiber internet up to 100mbps
- Download Tenda Wi-Fi app for client filtration, parental control, and remote web management
- 4 working modes for different scenarios
- Priced affordably below $30
It doesn’t include any USB port.
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router
Netgear is well-known in routers. However many of the Netgear routers are not compatible with Sonos.
A dual-band Netgear router like Netgear Nighthawk R6700 has features that make it fit for Sonos. Its key features include:
- Provides up to 1500 sq. ft. of coverage
- Connects up to 25 devices easily
- 4 wired gigabit ports at the back
- Supports advanced features like beamforming, Dynamix QoS, Smart Connect, etc
- Includes one USB 3.0 port for media transfers
- Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols
- Supports Guest access, firewall, VPN, and DOS
- Includes its own antivirus support Netgear Armor (free for 30 days)
- Up to 1750mbps wireless speed
- Download the Nighthawk app for easy setup
- Download the Circle app for parental controls and other advanced feature
- 3 external antennas
- Doesn’t support MU-MIMO
7. TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 Router AX1800 Smart Wi-Fi Router
Are you looking for an Alexa voice control router? This voice control router should work best for Sonos speakers.
Even with wide coverage and advanced feature, the TP-Link Wi-Fi router is aptly priced. Its key features include:
- Supports all Wi-Fi type from 802.11a to 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)
- Connects more than 40 devices with help of OFDMA technology
- Dual-band Wi-Fi speeds 574mps on 2.4Ghz and 1200mbps on 5Ghz band
- Powerful 1.5Ghz quad-core processing
- Buffer free 4k/HD streaming
- Fixed 4 external antennas
- Supports MU-MIMO technology
- Advanced WPA3 security
- Backward compatible
- Compatible with TP-Link OneMesh
- Up to 1.8 Gbps speed
- Controlled through TP-link app
See more: Sonos Beam vs Playbase
Mesh Routers For Sonos
Mesh routers include more than one unit. In Mesh routers, one main unit and the other three or four other nodes or satellites are placed at different rooms of your house to provide holistic Wi-Fi coverage.
These routers are expensive than the traditional stand-alone routers and also don’t have any external antennas.
Some of the mesh routers also work best with the Sonos system. Some of these options include:
1. Aruba Instant On AP22
Aruba is an HP Enterprise. This HP’s mesh router is one of the few mesh routers that can work well with Sonos. You can buy this with two or more separate nodes.
Some of the key features of this mesh router include:
- Supports Wi-Fi 6 technology i.e. 802.11ax
- Perfect for bungalows, large house, and offices
- Two-factor authentication required for setup
- Setup with Instant-on Cloud app management system
- Powered with 12V adapter or over Ethernet
- To be mounted high on a ceiling wall
- Dual-band with 574mbps speed in 2.4Ghz and 1200mbps on 5Ghz
- One gigabit 100/1000 uplink connection
- Can connect up to 75 devices
- Easy setup with Aruba Instant On the app
- WPA2/WPA3 security
- Backward compatibility
2. Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi system – router replacement for whole-home coverage
A sure shot best router for Sonos is the Amazon eero mesh router system. This is considered one of the best for Sonos speakers. It comes with a variety of options that includes one router + 2 plugs in beacons, 3 routers, and 4 routers. According to the area of coverage, you can choose either of them.
The one router + 2 beacon is perfect for homes. The beacons can easily plug in anywhere. It is also conveniently priced. These are priced nearly the same as most triple-band stand-alone routers cost.
The key features of this mesh router include:
- Up to 4500 sq. ft. of coverage
- Easily works with Alexa as it is an Amazon product
- Easy to set up the nodes as they get plugged in wall sockets
- Cross compatible hardware
- Easy to set up with Eero app
- Uses TureMesh technology for no congestion, buffer-free speed
- Compatible with Apple Home Kit as well
- Eero Secure+ provides additional security (30-day free trial)
3. Google Wi-Fi – AC1200 – Mesh Wi-Fi System
Google Wi-Fi is a mesh router system by Google that includes 3 units.
The key features of this mesh router are:
- Dual-band 2.45Ghz and 5Ghz bandwidth
- Supports Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- One router covers 1500 sq. ft, whereas 3 pack covers 4500 sq. ft
- Works with Google Home app
- Made from 49% recycled materials
- Access parental controls, security, and guest access
The product is priced around $200, not very affordable but worth it as against other mesh router systems.
You may also like: Best 4k Blu-Ray Player for Sonos
These were some of the best routers for Sonos. However, the list doesn’t end here. There are various other routers of companies like Ubiquiti, Ruckus, Luxul, Google Wi-Fi, and others that work with Sonos speakers. You can consult on Amazon for the best choice
However, do no buy a router for Sonos speaker until you are perfectly sure of its compatibility. Luxul is not a brand, but its model like Luxul Epic 3150 router and Luxul AC1700 Wap works best with Sonos.
Also, there are routers that are completely incompatible with Sonos hardware. This includes some of the models of popular router brands like Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, Lorex, Technicolor, Ziggo, etc. These incompatible routers are identified and confirmed incompatible by Sonos itself.
The best way to save yourself from trouble when buying a router for Sonos is to buy a returnable product. So, if the Sonos isn’t working even after taking support from Sonos customer support (which is quite helpful in solving such issues), you can get it returned at the very same time.