Alexa alone isn’t capable of setting a sleep timer for Tv. However, with the help of other smart devices, Alexa can set a sleep timer for TV.
A sleep timer for TV would mean allowing the TV to close automatically after a certain specified period, say an hour or two.
Setting a sleep timer for TV can help parents set the upper cap for watching the TV. The TV will automatically be turned off after the permissible time for kids to watch TV is over.
Another benefit of setting a sleep timer for TV is for those who doze off while watching TV. Such a user can carefreely doze off while watching TV without worrying if the TV would still be on when they wake up.
The sleep timer set for TV will allow the TV to switch off automatically even when there is no one to turn it off manually.
There are two ways Alexa can set a sleep timer for TV. These are:
- Through an Amazon smart plug
- Through Amazon Fire TV Cube
You need to have either of the two to allow Alexa to sleep time the TV.
Further reading: How to connect Alexa to Smart TV
What Is The Amazon Smart Plug?
Amazon smart plug is a plug capable of receiving voice commands from Alexa. This means you can operate the plug with voice commands. Any electronic device plugged in the smart plug can be controlled through Alexa’s voice commands.
This can be a lamp, fan, Tv, or anything else.
How To Use Amazon Smart Plug To Set The Sleep Timer For TV?
Plug the smart plug into the wall socket. It is a positive sign if you see the blue light blinking. You can now set it up with your smart speaker like Echo.
To connect the smart plug with Echo,
- Go to the Alexa app on a mobile device
- Tap on ‘turn on’ visible on the screen as you open the app
- ‘Plug is on’ will be visible on the screen.
If you can’t see the smart plug visible as you open the app, you may have to add the device manually. For this, go to Devices > Add Device. Choose the smart plug as the device. Choose Amazon as the brand. Follow the on-screen prompts to set it up.
You can control the smart plug manually using the Alexa app or through your voice as well. To control it through Alexa, you need to:
- Go to the Alexa app
- Go to Devices and choose Plugs
- Tap on the three dots on the top right corner
- Edit the name of the plug by what you would like to call it.
- In this case, living room TV.
- Now when you want the smart plug to open the TV, you say, “Alexa, turn on/off the living room TV.”
How To Set The Sleep Timer On Amazon Smart Plug
To control the smart plug better, like for setting the sleep timer, you need to take the help of Routines. It is one of the features found in the Alexa app that allows you to set a sleep timer.
If you create a routine, the task will be repeated every day at the same time. For instance, in this case, the Tv will be turned off at the same time you set it. All you need to say is, “Alexa, bedtime routine” or “Alexa, Tv routine.”
To set the routine, follow:
- Open the Alexa app
- Go to Devices > Plugs
- Choose the amazons smart plug from the options to control it
- Tap on ‘Create a routine’ from the bottom of the page
- Tap on the + icon to create a routine
- There will be three options. Press + icon to name the routine.
- Press + icon in front of When this Happens to create a schedule.
- Create a schedule by setting the time when you want the smart plug to be off.
What is Amazon Fire TV Cube?
Amazon Fire TV Cube is like a Fire Stick with thousands of entertaining movies and shows inside it. You can plug and play anytime to the Fire TV Cube compatible TV to use it.
You can binge-watch your favorite shows anytime. But what’s more? This Fire TV Cube also has a sleep timer feature. It makes the TV turn off anytime as it has a sleep timer set for 4 hours.
You can turn the Tv off in 5, 10, 15, 30, 90, 120 and up to 240 minutes.
How To Use Amazon Fire TV Cube To Set A Sleep Timer For TV?
With the help of the Alexa app and Fire TV remote, you can set sleep time for TV. Here is how you can do it using Alexa. It is done similarly as above, i.e., using Routines. However, When This Happens plays a crucial role in setting it up. Here is what needs to be done.
- Open the Alexa app on a mobile device
- Go to the Routines from the menu.
- Select on start a Routine.
- Name the routine by tapping on the + icon
- Now, tap on the + icon in front of the When This Happens
- From the options given, select Voice.
- Here types the voice command for Alexa, like “Alexa, sleep timer on”
- Next, tap on the Action
- For this, you need to add three separate actions to make this work. This is an important step.
- Specify the time for which the sleep timer should be activated by choosing the Wait option
- Next, go to the Smart Home option and select Tv icon from the given options
That’s it! The sleep timer is set using Alexa. You can now tell Alexa, sleep timer on to activate the task. The task will be activated, and the TV will turn off automatically as per the sleep timer set.
You may also like: What Are The Best Alexa-compatible Devices?
Alexa can set the sleep timer for TV provided you are either using a smart plug for your TV or you are using an Amazon Fire TV Cube with your TV to stream the movies.
Either way, Alexa works by setting the Routine within the Alexa app.