Sonos products can be set up with the home’s router and Wi-Fi in a wired and wireless connection.
When in a wired setup, Sonos products need to be connected to the home router through an Ethernet cable. In a wireless setup, Sonos products can connect to the home’s Wi-Fi network just like any other wireless smart device would.
There is no Sonos product that does not support Wi-Fi. However, some Sonos products do not have an Ethernet cable port at back. This means it is easier for a Sonos product to connect to Wi-Fi using a wireless connection than a wired connection.
You may also like: How To Connect Sonos To WiFi
How To Connect Sonos To Wi-Fi Without An Ethernet Cable?
You can connect Sonos to Wi-Fi without an ethernet cable using the Sonos controller apps (i.e. from both Sonos S1 and S2 apps).
1. If You Are Connecting Sonos To Wi-Fi For The First Time
If you have brought a brand new Sonos product and trying to connect Sonos to your home Wi-Fi network wirelessly (i.e. without Ethernet cable), follow the following steps:
However, before following this, make sure your new Sonos product is placed closed to the Wi-Fi router and connected to the power outlet.
After powering it up, the Sonos will show green led flashing on the top of its control panel. Now, add your Sonos product to the new system. For this follow:
- Open the Sonos controller (S1 or S2) app
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Tap on System> add product (if you are adding it to an existing system)
- Follow the steps as prompted.
If you are setting up a new system, follow:
- Open the Sonos controller app
- If will ask you to set up the new system.
- Tap on it to sign in or log in to your Sonos account
- Now, tap on Add when the popup shows your Sonos product. In the case of the Sonos S1 app, follow Continue> set up products
- Follow screen instructions to complete the setup
Now connecting your Sonos product to Wi-Fi without ethernet cable:
In Sonos S1 controller app
- Open the S1 controller app on your iOS or Android device
- Go to Settings> System> Network> Wireless Network
- Now, it will prompt you to enter your Wi-Fi password
- That’s it. A message will appear on the screen saying that your Sonos product is connected to Wi-Fi
2. If You Are Switching From A Wired To Wireless Wi-Fi Network
If you already have a setup Sonos product connected to your home Wi-Fi network in a wired network and want to switch it to a wireless setup, here are the following steps:
Let it stay in the wired setup i.e. the Sonos product should be connected to the home Wi-Fi network through an Ethernet cable before proceeding with the procedure
If using the Sonos S2 app
- Open the Sonos S2 app on your iOS or Android device
- Go to Settings> System> Network> Manage Networks
- Tap on Update Networks.
- The screen prompts will direct you to connect your Sonos device to your Wi-Fi network
- Enter your Wi-Fi password (if asked) to connect the Sonos product wirelessly
Once the Sonos product is connected to home Wi-Fi wirelessly, you can now disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Sonos product.
If using the S1 controller app
- Open the S1 controller app on your iOS or Android device (preferably a mobile device)
- Go to Settings> Systems> Network> Wireless Setup
- Enter the Wi-Fi password of your home Wi-Fi network when prompted
- When the Sonos product is connected wirelessly, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Sonos product.
3. If You Are Connecting An Already Setup Sonos Product To A New Router
What if you have an already set up Sonos product connected to your home Wi-Fi wirelessly, but now you got a new router.
Even if you have changed your Wi-Fi password, Wi-Fi name, or changed your old router, you will have to set up your Sonos product to the Wi-Fi network again. The Sonos system needs to be updated with the changed network information.
Here is how you can connect Sonos to an updated or new Wi-Fi network (without Ethernet cable)
Using the S2 controller app
- Open the S2 controller app on your ‘mobile’ device
- Since, your Wi-Fi password, router, or network name is changed, you will see a message ‘Unable to connect to Sonos Let’s fit it’ under the Systems.
- tap on this message to resolve the issue. Follow the steps as prompted.
Alternatively, you can go to the Settings tab and look for such a message that says, “unable to find the Sonos system’ or update your network setting’.
Following this, you will be able to connect your Sonos to a new Wi-Fi network (wirelessly).
Using the S1 controller app
Follow this if your Sonos was in a wired setup before the changes were made in the Wi-Fi network.
If you have more than one Sonos product in the system, you would have to connect one of the Sonos to your home router through an Ethernet cable.
- open the S1 controller app on the mobile device
- Tap on ‘Unable to connect to Sonos, Learn More.
- This will take you to Change router or Wi-Fi settings?
- Just tap and follow the onscreen instructions to connect your Sonos to the changed Wi-Fi network.
You may also like: Best Routers For Sonos
Can you connect Sonos without an Ethernet cable?
Yes, you can connect any Sonos product to Wi-Fi without an Ethernet cable. Your Sonos product should be kept in close proximity to the home Wi-Fi router when connecting.
How do I switch Wi-Fi on Sonos?
You can switch Wi-Fi on Sonos using the Sonos controller apps. Just follow the on-screen instructions when the app says “Unable to connect to Wi-Fi, fit it” to switch Wi-Fi on Sonos.
Why do I need an Ethernet cable to set up Sonos?
You need an Ethernet cable to set up Sonos when your home Wi-Fi network is not strong and reliable. Sonos products work on Wi-Fi modes 802.11b/g/a/n and security standards like WEP, WPA/WPA2, and WPA3.
You can connect any of your Sonos products to Wi-Fi without using Ethernet cable in a wireless setup using the Sonos Controller apps.