Do you have a Roku TV as well as an Alexa device? If you have them both, you can connect Alexa to Roku TV.
What happens after connecting Alexa to Roku TV?
Once your Roku TV is connected to Alexa, you can control your TV through voice commands.
You can use selected voice commands but will be able to perform basic functions to control your TV. You won’t need your remote for all things.
What all do you need to connect Alexa to Roku TV?
There are not many requirements when connecting Alexa to Roku TV. All you need is:
- A Roku Tv with Roku OS 9.1 or higher running
- A free Roku account
- An Alexa-enabled device like Amazon Echo or a third-party Alexa device like Sonos One
- Alexa mobile app downloaded to the latest version
All of these requirements are basic and do not require any extra investment. If you don’t have an Alexa device, you probably won’t even be reading this article.
How to connect Alexa to Roku TV?
The steps to connect Alexa to Roku Tv are also very simple and basic. The steps are simple to follow if you are a bit familiar with the Alexa app. Even if you are new to this, connecting Alexa to Roku TV is actually easy because of the Roku Skill.
Follow the steps below to connect your Roku account to Alexa:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device
- Tap on the hamburger icon i.e., the Menu
- Tap on Skills and Games Type Roku in the search bar to find Roku Skill
- Select Roku from the list when it appears
- Open the Skill and tap on Enable
- You will be asked to sign up for your Roku account. Enter your username and password when prompted.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
- If you have more than one Roku device at home, it will ask you to select one of them and tap on continue.
- Now, if you have more than one Alexa device, it will ask you to choose the Alexa you want the Roku device to be connected with.
- Select the Alexa device, and a screen ‘Al Linked Devices’ will appear.
- The next page will explain what you can control through Alexa. Tap ‘Continue to Alexa app’ to finish the process.
If you are unable to select the Roku device, you need to go to the Roku Skill again and tap on ‘Manage’. All Roku devices support Alexa.
What can you control on Roku TV through Alexa?
You can do many things through Alexa commands like play, pause, change volume, open Netflix, change channels, turn it on and off, and more.
Some of the commands to use to control the Roku TV through Alexa are:
- Alexa, pause on (name of Roku TV)
- Alexa, launch Netflix on bedroom Roku
- Alexa, find documentaries on Roku
- Alexa, turn on/off the living room Roku
- Alexa, turn up/down the volume on Roku
- Alexa, mute on Roku
- Alexa, go home to the living room Roku
- Alexa, change to channel *no.* on office Roku
- Alexa, switch to HDMI 2 on Roku
Remember to use Alexa voice commands on Roku TV to enable Fast TV Start on Roku.
Can you link multiple Roku TV with Alexa?
Yes, if you have more than one Roku TV at your home or office, you can connect them all with Alexa simultaneously.
However, in the case of several Roku TVs, make sure you call out the specific Roku TV name when giving voice commands to allow Alexa to identify the specific Roku TV being commanded.
To link multiple Roku to Alexa, follow the following steps:
- Go to Menu > Skill and Games
- Search Roku to find the Roku Skill
- If it is already enabled, disable it.
- Tap on Enable to Use
- It will redirect to linking the Roku account and signing in with your Roku account credentials.
- When prompted to select the Roku device, tap on Select All. You can also select specific Roku devices if you do not want all devices to connect with Alexa.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to finish the process.
You may also like: What Are The Best Alexa-compatible Devices?
How to enable the Fast TV feature on Roku TV?
Fast Tv Star is a feature in Roku TV, enabling it to regain connection with its inbuilt speakers. It also connects with the Roku wireless audio device or a wireless speaker at any time, irrespective of if the screen is off or on.
If the screen is on stand-by, the speakers are enabled. However, Fast TV consumes more power. Enabling the Fast TV feature on Roku TV when connecting it with Alexa is important to make the best use of it.
Here is how you can enable Fast TV start to feature on Roku Tv:
- Press Home on the Roku TV remote
- Scroll down to select Settings
- Selection System > Power > Fast TV Start
- Highlight enable ‘Fast TV Start’ and enable it.
That’s it! The Alexa can perform better on Roku TV now. Even when the Roku screen is off, you can still use voice commands over Alexa to change music and volume and listen to the podcast on your Roku TV. You can just throw your commands, and Roku TV will fulfill by playing the content from the Alexa device.
How to keep the audio playing with the TV screen off on Roku TV?
You can enable the Fast TV Start feature to play audio when the screen is off. You can use the Alexa device to give voice commands to Roku.
Does Roku TV have its own voice assistant?
Roku does not have its own voice assistant. However, you can use Roku Voice Remote Pro for voice controlling your Roku TV. Alternatively, you can also connect Roku TV to Alexa using the Alexa app. When using google on Roku TV, you can use “Hey, Google” to give commands.
How to turn off Roku TV when the screen is off?
To turn the TV off when the screen is off, simply press * on the Roku Remote. Scroll down and select Turn off Display to switch off your TV. You can also simply command Alexa, turn off my living room Roku’ if Alexa is connected to Roku.