The most used voice control assistant, Alexa, is everyone’s favorite. It’s the most preferred digital assistant because it provides a myriad of options for voice commands.
It easy to connect with and responds quickly and creatively. Alexa is Amazon’s digital assistant that works not only with Amazon’s digital products or its third-party speakers. You can also access it on your iOS and Android device by downloading the Alexa app.
Here is the list of best Alexa commands you didn’t know existed.
But first things first, let’s know how to unmute Alexa.
How To Unmute Alexa
If the microphones of your Amazon device are muted, the Alexa cannot be activated and is considered mute as well.
To unmute your microphone and thereby Alexa, push and hold the microphone button on your device for at least 2 seconds. Your device will send an indication indicating that the microphone has been unmuted.
List Of Best Alexa Commands
Asking for news and weather
To get the attention of Alexa, you either call works like Alexa, Echo, Amazon, or Computer.
The best command that works goes like,
- “Alexa, what’s my flash briefing?” or
- “Alexa, what’s in the news” or
- Alexa, what’s the weather going to be like this weekend/ tomorrow
You can also ask for traffic information by commanding, “Alexa, what’s my commute look like”.
Setting an alarm, timer asking for date and time
It’s the easiest as it can be. Just say “Alexa, set the alarm for 6 am” or
- Alexa, what’s the date?
- Alexa, cancel my alarm.
- Alexa, set a timer for 2 minutes, or Alexa, set a cake timer for 35 minutes.
- Alexa, wake me up to (your favorite artist, album, song, etc)
- “Alexa, what are my timers” to check the status of a current timer set
- “Alexa, set a timer of 15 minutes to (your favorite song, music, artist)” for setting music timer.
Setting music commands
Just listen to your favorite songs by commanding
- Alexa, play some music
- “Alexa, restart” for repeating the same song
- “Alexa, next” for skipping the current song
- “Alexa, add this song to Spotify or Amazon Prime Music library” for adding songs to your playlists
Using Alexa skills
Before using any Alexa skill, you should know the name of the skill. You can add Alexa skills by opening the Alexa app and logging in to your account to enable any particular skill. The voice commands for Alexa skills words as:
- Alexa, enable (the name of skill like Jeopardy, Dominos, etc)
- “Alexa, what kid’s skill do you have” for using Alexa as a baby monitor
- Alexa, open Earplay
- “Alexa, ask TrackR to find my phone” for locating lost phone With TrackR Lost My Phone skill.
Using smart home commands
If your home includes smart home products that are Alexa enabled, here are the voice commands you can use:
- “Alexa, discover my devices” for enabling all your Alexa enabled smart devices at home
- “Alexa, turn on the lights” if you have Philips Hue, TP-Link, or LIFX bulbs and lights installed
- Alexa, turn on/dim/ turn off the living room lights
- “Alexa, lock my back doors” if you have smart locks installed
- Alexa set the temperature to (your desired temperature)
Using Alexa is a quick calculator
- Alexa, how many centimeters are in 4 feet?
- Alexa, what’s 85 plus 57
- Alexa, what’s 8 factorial
Making for to-do and shopping lists
- Alexa, create a to do.
- Alexa, add go to a confectionary store to my to-do list
- Alexa, add an event to my calendar
- Alexa, what’s on my shopping list
- Alexa, add yoga mat to my shopping list
- “Alexa, reminder” for setting a reminder
- Alexa, remind me to check my shopping list
Purchasing from Amazon
Purchasing and putting orders on amazon, Amazon Music is easy with Alexa. Here are common voice commands for the same:
- Alexa, buy more body moisturizer (or the product you want to add)
- Alexa, track my order
- Alexa, order an Echo show 8
- Alexa, add a broom to my cart
- “Alexa, buy this song” for buying songs on Amazon Music
- Alexa, shop for new music
- “Alexa, what are your deals?” for finding new deals on amazon
- “Alexa, find me a good food processor” for getting good product recommendations
- Alexa, ask Uber to get a ride
Handling calls and messaging
This feature lets you connect among the different Amazon devices at home, using them as an intercom, or sending announcements throughout the house. This is done with the help of the Drop-In feature.
Here are the commands to use for the same:
- Alexa, call (name of your other Echo device) for calling an Echo user in your home or another Echo user
- “Alexa, answer the call” for receiving the call
- Alexa, message (name of the Echo device) for dropping a message to another Echo user
- Alexa, play messages
- “Alexa, drop in on the living room” to connect with your own Echo device
- “Alexa, announce its dinner time” to use all your Echo devices in the home as an announcement speaker
- Alexa, tell me about (call out the phone number you need to know about)
You can also do a lot with media controls using Alexa like
- “Alexa set the bass to three” for audio controls
- “Alexa, play baby-making music/ rock music/classical music” for playing the music of a particular genre
- Alexa, play the song of the day
- Alexa, play (song name, playlist name) on Spotify
- Alexa, play (radio station frequency) on TuneIn
- Alexa, play the book (the title of the book) on audiobook
- Alexa, next page/next chapter/ resume my book
- “Alexa, what’s playing?” for getting song information
- “Alexa, add this song” to add the song to the playlist
- Alexa read me on Kindle book
- Alexa, stop playing in 30 minutes
Apart from these, you can also control your Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Echo Show using Alexa commands. The very basic commands on Alexa can also help you in muting and unmuting it by saying, “Alexa, mute/unmute”.
You can also start a conversation with Alexa or command it to stop or shut up.